Friday, September 26, 2008

This One's For Obama

I've been thinking for a while about all the friends I have who make music. Really great music. Stuff that's as good as anything anyone anywhere is doing. And they're doing it while keeping their days jobs.

Like Eric Lichter. Eric's songwriting is as good as anything you've ever heard. His lyrics are glorious introspective pictures that get in your head and stay there. His melodies have tastes and smells and colors along with the sounds. His arrangements are wistful and rocking.

Eric's been doing it for a long time. He's got a catalog that would put many famous artists to shame. But unless you're a fan of his little Australian label (I think he may actually be on a few small labels scattered around the globe) you'll probably never hear his music.

I've got a lot of music myself. Like 20+ years worth. And no label. So I'm starting this blog to get some of this stuff out there. Stuff by my friends, my friends friends, myself—heck, even random readers if they want to get into the act. Stuff that should be shared.

Since I just started this thing I haven't figured out exactly how to get the stuff downloadable directly from the blog, but I will soon.

Meanwhile, if you go to iTunes and search "Yes We Can + Obamabots" you can check out my latest effort. I was feeling inspired to write something to show my support for Obama. And I remembered Bill Clinton had Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow" blaring away every time he came on stage while he was campaigning. It was an okay tune with a good message.

Remembering that made me remember a really crazy one: Geo Bush Sr. His signature tune? If you don't remember you'll probably find it hard to believe: "Don't Worry, Be Happy."

Did you just throw up in your mouth a little bit?

Then there was Sara Palin with Heart's "Barracuda," for which Ann and Nancy Wilson tried to order a cease and desist.

Anyway, music and politics have a long history. So I thought what I would do is write a song for my friend Joan Jett to record for Obama to use. It was an interesting excercise, as my "normal" style is a bit less hard rocking and direct than Joan's. But I felt she would be the perfect artist in certain ways...an iconoclastic American icon who travels her own path with passion and perfection that is hers alone. So I wrote the song and sent it to Joan. Unfortunately, she was in the middle of a tour, which made getting into the studio problematic. Meanwhile, the election was getting closer and closer, so I decided to release it myself.

So check it out:

1. go to iTunes
2. search "Yes We Can + Obamabots"

And look for stuff by my friends coming soon.

No comments: